Zotero is a handy reference management system that works as an add-on for Mozilla Firefox – and it’s free! I debated whether to use EndNote or Zotero, but decided I wanted to build a library that I would be able to continue to access even if I leave the higher education sector and the joys of institutional licencing. Also, there are a number of functions that are really handy:
- I can sync my desktop and laptop;
- My library is stored online and I can access it through the zotero website from any computer;
- For journals, there’s a fabulous tool to capture referencing details from search engines — there’s hardly any need to do manual entry;
- For books, there’s an ISBN search engine to capture referencing details — again, there’s very little typing needed;
- There’s a plug-in not just for MS Word, but also for OpenOffice Writer (although no love if you use Pages on a Mac).